A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
This is an experiment in classic game development using the same software (and similar hardware) used to create Myst. My goal was to gain some historical insight into the creation of classic point-and-click first-person adventure games, and I was surprised to find just how much the constraints imposed by the era's 3d graphics and programming tools guided the overall design toward something that looks and feels like Myst.
I ran out of time to complete the implementation of the main puzzle, so this is simply a walking tour of the age.
- Launch the included Mini vMac executable for your operating system of choice.
- When a flashing floppy disk icon appears, drag-and-drop the System.dsk file into the Mini vMac window.
- Double-click Basaltic Age on the desktop to begin.
- The emulator runs at 32 mhz which is rather slow to run this unoptimized prototype. To speed things up hold the Control key, then press the S and A keys in succession. This sets the emulator to "all out" speed.
- Click in the center of the screen to move forward. Click on the left and right sides of the screen to turn. There is no object interaction or puzzles.
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.